For over a hundred years, the name Stevens has been associated with lumber. Cyriel Stevens Sr. was already active in the sector at the end of the 19th century, importing wood via Terneuzen. His son, Jan Stevens Sr. earned his spurs in the business at the Antwerp wood importer De Brouckère and established Houtimport Stevens in 1936. Before the war, the first warehouse was built alongside the Scheldekaaien wharves opposite the former dry docks. After the war, more warehouses were constructed, which were still used until a few years ago.
Stevens Hout: Ann Stevens en haar vader
In 1946, Cyriel Stevens started a third generation. His brother, Joseph Stevens, joined him in 1950. During the post-war reconstruction years, the firm expanded its activities. In addition to Scandinavian and American softwood, after the war Stevens & C° also tapped Canadian and Russian wood sources. Since then, our offices have been based in Antwerp’s city centre, a stone’s throw from the cathedral.\r\n\r\nIn 1972, Cyriel Stevens’ daughter, Monique Stevens, joined the company and her brother, Jan Stevens, the current manager, in 1975. The family tradition is being continued by Jan’s daughter, Ann Stevens.